Saturday, January 4, 2014

Our Plan - God's Plan

I moved to a new address on December 22. It wasn't my plan to do this, but it was God's plan. Moving to a new address and working in a ceramic studio/store was not where I planned to be or what I planned to be doing a year after leaving my last place of ministry. I thought I would be happily shepherding a parish family by now. But, God wanted me here because at 11:30pm on New Year's Eve I needed to drive my new housemate to the Emergency Room. Fourteen hours later she had surgery to remove an undetected tumor that appears to be cancerous. I know that none of this was her plan and I know it wasn't God's plan, but what was God's plan was that I be here for her. This whole sequence of events ... on top of the sequence of events of this past year ... has awakened me to a new understanding of "walking by faith and not by sight".

In our daily living everything around us may look as though it's falling apart, working against us, going in the wrong direction, raising troubles on every side. That's what it looks like; it looks dark. But, as believers in Jesus Christ we walk by faith and not by sight. We walk in the Light. Does that mean that at times we won't tremble or fear? I don't think so. But, it does mean that we choose and take steps of faith that will not let fear and darkness have its way with us. With our sight fixed on God who is faithful and good we say, "We are troubled on every side, yet not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed." - 2 Cor 4.8-9 This kind of walking looks to God in prayer, seeks others to pray with, searches the Scriptures ... in order to see and know how God is working for our good. This kind of walking is what brings the Light into our darkness and into the darkness of this world. This kind of walking brings hope.

Recently, when I was feeling particularly discouraged a good friend of mine sent me V. Raymond Edman's book, The Disciplines of Life. This book has renewed me, challenged me, strengthened me, and encouraged me ... to walk this life of faith. I know it will for you too. I believe it is out of print so if you can find a copy, buy it! It is solid meat of Truth that we need to hear in order to live this life of faith ... to walk by the Light of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for you Jean, and for your incredible faith which lights the way for so many others!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am trying to walk by faith. I know in my heart and soul, that God has a plan & it is for good. What a blessing for you to be shown a small (but significant!) piece of His plan.

    ReplyDelete