Monday, October 14, 2013

Jesus, Master ... chesed!

So, yesterday The Rev. Dr. Ann Paton challenged us with how we frequently say in our liturgy "Lord, have mercy" ...but do we really know what it means? Do we understand mercy ... hesed  or chesed, that back in the throat pronunciation that we in the west have to think about before we say it ... chesed ... God's mercy? When the lepers cried out, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" they knew what they wanted more than anything ... mercy! They nearly spit out their cry ... their yearning of the heart
"Jesus, Master, have chesed on us!"

I know a little about this right now. Having been without income for over 9 months I have said more than once, "Jesus, have mercy." And, He has. I still don't have an income and none looks to be on the way any time soon, but I have never gone without a place to lay my head or bread on the table. Jesus has provided for me (and my car! Thank you kind friend!) through the gifts of others. He has shown me His mercy through His mercy that lives and is at work in the hearts of others. This is His economy. (I even saw examples of this on the news last night ... mercy being stirred up in the heart of people to help others in need.) This is His mercy, but it is also so very much ... so very very much more.

Chesed: mercy; grace; favor; lovingkindess; 
loyal love; covenantal faithfulness.

God's mercy, God's grace and favor, God's lovingkindness ... His loyal love and covenantal faithfulness ... shown to us, given to us in Jesus Christ. It's too much to take in! When I think that I ask for mercy and in the back of my mind I'm thinking about work for my hands and income. Yes, I want that and need that ... but Lord, don't stop there ... show me your chesed, your loyal love, your lovingkindness. Like those lepers cleanse me to make me presentable in the temple granting me access to Your Throne that I may worship You in spirit and in truth. Pour out Your Holy Spirit upon me that I may in turn show Your Chesed, Your Loyal Love to others ... that I may give You praise and glory in Your Name! Is not this work for my hands? Does this not give me an income that is far greater than anything I can ask or imagine ... any of us can ask or imagine? 

"Jesus, Master, have mercy on us."
Oh, Jesus, Your Name is mercy.
Your Name is Chesed.
Lovingkindness.
Your Grace.
Favor.
Loyal Love.
Covenantal Faithfulness.

The world is built with chesed. Psalm 89.3

(Look... it's a chalice... sort of.)

2 comments: