Thursday, April 10, 2014

There's Only What You Do

There's only what you do.
Everything else is inside your head.

But what you do is just the expression
of who you are
and what you know.

And what you do covers a multitude of sins.
You do your tone of voice
....
You do the silences between your words
as well as the words themselves.
You do the songs you sing.
You do the cup of tea you made your mum.
You do the way you spend your money
and the way you didn't spend it.
You do the love you make
and all the love you didn't make.
You do the atmosphere you change within a room.
You do the rocking of the baby in your arms
....
But ... what you do is the expression
of who you are
and what you know.

If what you are feels wrong or not worth much
scrunched up in a miserable little ball,
It goes without saying the way you do will mirror that.
And what others do you will receive
much the same.

'Doing Love' Love Burning Deep, Kathy Galloway

Oof. Those last few lines hurt a bit. I didn't want to write them out for you to read. I wanted to remove them, leave them out ... like some leave out certain lines of Scripture when reading it ... because they don't want to read them, hear them ... because of the truth they speak. Those last few lines are truth ... to one degree or another they are true ... for most of us. But, then Ruth Etchells gave a prayer to open it up for us today:

"O God of Love,...
Give me, now, the grace to open myself to you: this morning let me face those barriers within myself which shut out your love, and accept it fully in thankfulness:
- trusting you that its demand will not be too great for my frailty;
- letting its healing warmth teach me of my great worth in your eyes,
so that all I do and am is shaped by it. And let me see all that others do in the light of that love. So may the love I 'do' today shine with the love in which you have secured me. AMEN."

Ninth Day, Morning
Just As I Am, Ruth Etchells

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for not leaving them out! Need the lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete