Friday, January 25, 2013

Snow! And, answered prayer...


Yep! It's snowing! Praise be to God! For over a month I have been praying for snow. When I first knew I was heading to Honey Rock for a couple of months, Rob Ribbe (Director) said that if I wanted snow I better start praying because there wasn't any! That was mid-December. Well... it's here... and it is beautiful!

I can hear the horses whinnying in the barn paddock, the scraping of shovels on the broomball court, and ... the stillness of the snow. Funny how if you really listen you can hear snow. If you think about it, that's what prayer is like too. If we really stop and listen, we can hear God answer our prayers.

Earlier this month in devotions I shared what I learned about three Hebrew words for prayer: tefilah, kavanah, and barukhah. (If you are a Hebrew scholar, please excuse the spelling... I found a number of versions for each one and so used the one most repeated.)

Tefilah is the practice of prayer and covers all kinds of praying: thanksgivings, petitions, praises. If I have this right, tefilah is the practice of prayer that teaches us Who God is and who we are in relation to him. That's why it doesn't matter what kind of prayer it is because any kind of prayer declares, "You are God! and I am not." We give thanks to God because he is the source of all life, of all things. We ask God because he is the only one who can help us (I learned that from Natalie Sturm when she was 4 years old!). And, we praise God because he IS goodness, kindness, life, love, peace, joy... you get the picture. So, tefilah calls us to practice prayer.

Kavanah is the mindset of prayer. This involves the intent and concentration of our mind and heart in prayer. And, because prayer teaches us about God and our relationship with him, kavanah is about asking and expecting an answer because we are his children and he loves us. This reminded me of many psalms that declare thanksgiving to God for his answer even though he hasn't given it yet. Kavanah is the mindset in prayer that declares, "You are God! I thank you that you heard my cry and saved me... or, sent help... or, answered me, etc."We thank God before we have the answer because we know he will, because we know he is God and he cares for us.

Barukhah is the prayer of blessing. From what I read, a Jew is to bless the Lord 613 times a day. So barukhah is a constant meditation on God and could be considered prayer without ceasing. "Blessed are you, O Lord God, King of the Universe for __________." ... our daily bread, snow, laughter, healing, forgiveness, sisters, fireplaces, friends, Butterfingers, Uggs. Just fill in that blank 613 times a day. Ann Voskamp's 1,000 Gifts is a great example of this. Barukhah is prayer that blesses the Lord, gives him thanks and praise. I read that barukhah means "knee" and can mean "humility". So, 613 times a day, bend the knee and say, "Bless the Lord for he gives us new life."

There are many things for which I will continue to pray, but right now I bless the Lord for the fire in the fireplace before me and ...
If you don't get what this is about look at the post from January 17th.

4 comments:

  1. I heard Chrissy (Cymbala) Toledo speak last night and one of the things she shared was praying with the expectation of the answer because we have faith. Why didn't I think of that?! Of course! Barukhah = prayer of blessing because we have faith in God and that God answers even before we ask! Hebrews 11... now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jean for this wonderful reminder of our communication with God. I am so thankful that you have "good" water again!!!
    Love to you sister...I miss you.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I love reading your posts and they have helped me to listen to God. I think I know what you mean about hearing snow, but it is not easy to explain -almost like a blanket over the earth. You are a blessing, thank you and thank God. miss you, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect post to read following our weekend with One Thousands Gifts DVD and the virtual Ann Voskamp over 5 sessions with 10 women in a house facing the ocean. It was heaven, and beginning the practice of counting (and writing) our blessings was the first step on a new journey turning our "thanksgiving" into "thanksLIVING."

    ReplyDelete