Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Walking with attention and intention

Ann Voskamp's post yesterday spoke about walking with all attention and intention ... giving thanks for the beauty of the LORD that is before us in the TODAY, the NOW each and every moment of the day. She said of her Mom walking through the woods

there’s no loud and flippant way she’s letting anything make her miss the now right under her, no way that that now could just up and slip out from under her

Today, nothing was going to slip out from under me. Today, I took my own walk in the NOW ... in Muir Woods with my sister.


Here in the NOW of these ancient giants everything slows down
and settles quiet into your soul.


Here in the NOW of these ancients we are "married to amazement"* ...

Here in the NOW of these ancients of yesterday, today,
and tomorrow our hearts stretch ... expand ... to take in the height
and depth and breadth of
The Ancient.

Here in the NOW in the midst of these ancients of days ... is His perfect provision for TODAY. Has not The Ancient of Days cared and nurtured and grown and made strong these mighty giants? "God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods." - John Muir

How can I, standing in the midst of these ancients of days ... me, so small ... these ancients, so giant ... how can I not trust The Ancient of Days for his perfect provision for TODAY? How can I not trust Him to care for me, save me from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods? How can I not trust in, live in His perfect provision of NOW?

NOW is the destination.

"I used to envy the father of our race, dwelling in the new-made fields and plants of Eden; but I do so no more, for I have discovered that I also live in 'creation's dawn'. The morning stars still sing together, and the world not yet half made, becomes more beautiful everyday." - John Muir

*Mary Oliver

2 comments:

  1. Wow. that is humbling. and inspirational. I love that you saw this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a splendid sight to see in your NOW! Overwhelming grandeur and peace even in the pictures. So glad you were able to be there for real.

    ReplyDelete