Friday, November 1, 2013

What can a new choreography look like?

Sunrise ... Bay Bridge,  San Francisco

I'm watching the day awaken here on the west coast. The sun's softly strengthening rays are painting the horizon with autumn's colors. She reminds me that in the change of seasons our earthly home takes on a new choreography ... a needed new choreography, so that it may continue in its purpose: to bring praise and glory to God. Farrell Mason's post reminded me that we too need seasons of new choreography ... seasons that continually awaken us to our purpose in life: to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. (Westminster Confession)

God has been encouraging me to do this for some time now ... to move into a new season, take on a new choreography. One would think that 10 months out of work would be a new choreography enough! And, it has been. Being called out from a wonderful place with even more wonderful people into the wilderness of not knowing what is next ... well, these past 10 months have taken me deeper into trusting that God is who he says he IS and he IS Trustworthy. I don't know that I would have learned this lesson in this deeper way had I remained in that "choreography".

So, about that new choreography...

During October Ann Voskamp's blog has presented 31 Days of Calling on Jesus – coming closer to Him, resting in Him, remembering His Presence with us. Today she wrote:

Your presence is always in the now
I am with You now — where I AM always is…
Now is the destination
Over these 10 months a good deal of my focus has been for my future ... what's next? This was and is needed ... I do need to pray and look for what is next. But, in the new choreography Jesus calls me to choose to dance with Him today and let Him take care of tomorrow. His perfect provision is not just for some future day, it is for today ... the present, the now. NOW is my destination. NOW is my future.

Making that choice is incredibly freeing. Making the NOW my focus is allowing me to trust even more in God's promise of perfect provision ... for today and for that future day, that destination I do not know. The awareness that His provision for me for TODAY is perfect and good and all I need (give us this day our daily bread!) ... it makes me smile. He IS my provision and I don't need to look any further. HE is my provision. That is true for you too ... no matter what your circumstances. Doesn't that make you want to dance?

Ann went on to write:

Today, I will rest in the present moment with I AM
because this is where I find the rest of myself.

I rewrote this for me to say, "TODAY, I will choose to be alert and attentive and aware of His Presence in the Present ... in the NOW ... because this is where I am." The new choreography is choosing ... moment-by-moment choosing the awareness that we are tucked into His arm, His steps leading ours, His hand guiding us ... for TODAY and for our future. May He give us the fortitude to choose and keep choosing this choreography with Him. That glorifies Him and in it we enjoy Him ... today and for ever.

1 comment:

  1. She also says "I profane this moment when I refuse to stay in it... to be fully PRESENT in the PRESENT." If each moment is a gift from our God, then not savoring it is desecration of the gift .. now I'm paraphrasing her.. "profane"... that's some strong language.. Love it. Love her. Love you!

    ReplyDelete