Monday, May 13, 2013

Come, Holy Spirit. Come. ... Day 4

A twist for today that I hope will encourage you onward in this vigil. I was reading a blog by Farrell Mason, and she quoted a poet I enjoy - Rainer Maria Rilke. The poem she shared fit perfectly with this longing for a deeper awareness of the Holy Spirit. I have included it in our prayers for today.

As well, I begin today to see the need for confession, repentance of things I think and say and do that keep the Spirit from His work in my life or even working through my life. So, today some prayers of confession from Matthew Henry.

Blessed are you, O LORD our God, Master of the Universe, who sanctified us through Jesus our Messiah, upon You we wait to kindle the fire of Your Holy Spirit within us

A time of silence...

"I know that if I say I have no sin, I deceive myself, and the truth is not in me; but you have said that if I confess my sins, you are faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (26)

I have set my mind on things beneath, which should have been set on things above, where my treasure is, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God; (70) these are the things which I should seek.

I have paid regard to vain idols and forsaken my hope of steadfast love; (71) have forsaken the fountain of living waters, for cisterns, broken cisterns that can hold no water. (72)

I have done away with the fear of God and hindered meditation before God; (102) I have not called upon your name, nor roused myself to take hold of you. (103)

I have come to you as your people come, and have sat before you as your people sit, and have heard what you have said, when my heart at the same time has been set after gain. (104) And thus have I brought the torn and the lame and the sick for sacrifice, have presented to my God that which I would not have presented to my governor; and have vowed and sacrificed to the Lord what is blemished, when I had in my flock a male. (105)

I have sinned, Father, against heaven and before you: (106) All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; (107) for the God in whose hand is my breath and whose are all my ways, I have not honored. (108)

O that my head were waters, and my eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night (294) for my transgressions, and might in such a manner sow in those tears as that at last I may reap in shouts of joy; may now go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, and may in due time come home with shouts of joy, bringing in my sheaves with me. (295)

I know that if I say I have no sin, I deceive myself, and the truth is not in me; but you have said that if I confess my sins, you are faithful and just to forgive me my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (26)"

God speaks to each of us as he makes us,
then walks with us silently out of the night.
These are the words we dimly hear:
You, sent out beyond your recall,
go to the limits of your longing.
Embody me.
Flare up like a flame
and make big shadows I can move in.
Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.
Don't let yourself lose me.
Nearby is the country they call life.
You will know it by its seriousness. [real-ness]
Give me your hand.


Sing or play a song of worship to God. 

Come, Holy Spirit. Come.

A time of silent waiting ...

In the powerful Name of Jesus,
AMEN.

God bless you. +++

26 1 John 1:7-8.
70 v. Col 3:1-2; Matt 6:21.
71 Jonah 2:8.
72 Jer 2:13.
102 Job 15:4.
103 Isa 64:7.
104 Ezek 33:13.
105 Mal 1:8, 14.
106 Luke 15:18.
107 Rom 3:23.
108 Dan 5:23.
294 Jer 9:1.
295 Ps 126:5-6.”

Excerpt From: Henry, Matthew. “Matthew Henry's Method for Prayer (ESV 1st Person Version).” Matthew Henry. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/matthew-henrys-method-for/id428439436?mt=11

No comments:

Post a Comment