Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Giving

So, yesterday I was back on the road again... a perfect driving day: blue skies, splashes of wildflowers, the scent of freshly mown grass, light traffic. About halfway I stopped to fill up the tank ... my car's and mine. After scouring the convenience store for the best deals I settled on a sandwich and a variety of drinks. I wanted to hug the cold bottle of water and energy drinks. I was HOT! Even a perfect day can be rather warm with the sun shining its glory.

With lunch on my lap and cold delight in its place, I headed back to the highway. Then, a red light brought me face to face with a homeless man seated on the median, his beaten up radio and sign keeping him company. My heart immediately showed me why I bought two drinks. Down went the window and the cold delight handed over.

This was the drink! :  )

With the light already green and impatience inching up behind me (a police car!), I stepped on the gas and returned to the highway. The exchange took seconds, but it challenged me. I began to wonder ... what keeps me from giving? I mean, really ... how hard was it to give that cold drink? It wasn't hard. It wasn't hard at all! As I thought more about what had just happened, it occurred to me that the only difference between that man and myself is that I have people who care about me and are willing to help me. Maybe one other difference ... I have hope.

When that thought went through my mind ... my heart welled up. I have THE hope ... Jesus my Lord and Master. I have so much to give. We have so much to give! On Sunday, we celebrated the coming of the Holy Spirit, living within us, uniting us to Christ. Spell that out: U-N-I-T-I-N-G  us to Christ. Glory be! That man and I may not have a permanent place to live or a monthly income, but I have an inheritance that I can live on (and in) now and a home to live in (and with) now. Oh my! What we have to share!

Maybe I did share it. I shared Him in that green energy drink. I didn't get to say anything to that man on the median, but I pray ... God bless him - may God intervene and interfere in that man's life, and by the power of His Holy Spirit bring and keep him in right relationship with Him to change his character and his destiny.

Give God's blessing to someone today ... someone who desperately needs it. Give in Jesus' Name. +++


1 comment:

  1. Dearest Jean,
    Blessings to you this day and always!!!

    ReplyDelete