Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Come, Holy Spirit. Come. ... Day 5

"Having opened the wounds of sin, both the guilt of it and the power of it, and its remainders in me, I must next seek unto God for the remedy, for healing and help, for from him alone is it to be expected, and he will for this be inquired of by me. (1) And now I must affect my heart with a deep sense of the need I have of those mercies which I pray for ... "
- Matthew Henry

With hearts humbled from confession, let us seek our Father for the assurance of forgiveness, the assurance of his lovingkindness and steadfast love. Is this not the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts and lives?! Is this not Him whom we seek to be God's Presence abiding with us, in us?

Blessed are you, O LORD our God, Master of the Universe, who sanctified us through Jesus our Messiah, upon You we wait to kindle the fire of Your Holy Spirit within us

A time of silence...



“You, Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you. You are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. (25)

You are a God ready to forgive, merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, (26) who does not always chide nor keep his anger forever. (27)

You, you are he who blots out my transgressions for your own sake, and will not remember my sins, which I am here to put you in remembrance of, and to declare, in order to plead for mercy in Christ. (28)

And now, please let the power of the Lord be great as you have promised, saying, “The LORD is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, forgiving iniquity and transgression.” Please pardon the iniquity of your people, according to the greatness of your steadfast love, just as you have forgiven even until now. (29)

For who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of your inheritance? You do not retain your anger forever, because you delight in steadfast love. O that you would have compassion upon me and tread my iniquities underfoot and cast all my sins into the depths of the sea. (30)”

Sing or play a song of worship to God ... giving thanks for His mercy and grace.

“I have sinned, but I have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous, who is the propitiation for my sins, and not for mine only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (37)

It is God who justifies, who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died – more than that, who was raised – who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for me, (38) and whose blood speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. (39)

I desire to count everything as loss for the sake of Christ, and as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having any righteousness of my own, but that which comes through faith in Christ. (40)

This is the name whereby I, with your people, will call him, THE LORD IS OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. (41) In him, Lord, I believe, help my unbelief. (42)

Heal me, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise. (73) Do not be angry with me forever, but revive me again, that I may rejoice in you. Show me your steadfast love, O LORD, and grant me your salvation. (74)"

Come, Holy Spirit. Come. 

A time of silent waiting ...


“I entreat your favor, O God, with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise, (85) for in your favor is life; (86) yes, your steadfast love is better than life itself. (87)

LORD, make your face to shine upon me and be gracious to me; LORD, lift up the light of your countenance upon me and give me peace. (88)”

In the powerful Name of Jesus, 
AMEN.

God bless you. +++

1 Exek 36:37.
25 Ps 86:5, 15.
26 Neh 9:17.
27 Ps 103:9.
28 Isa 43:25-26 (v. KJV).
29 Num 14:17-19.
30 Mic 7:18-19.
37 1 John 2:1-2.
38 Rom 8:33-34.
39 Heb 12:24.
40 Phil 3:7-9.
41 Jer 23:6.
42 Mark 9:24.
73 Jer 17:14.
74 Ps 85:5-7.
85 Ps 119:58.
86 Ps 30:5 (margin).
87 Ps 63:3.
88 Num 6:25-26.

Excerpt From: Henry, Matthew. “Matthew Henry's Method for Prayer (ESV 1st Person Version).” Matthew Henry. iBooks. 

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/matthew-henrys-method-for/id428439436?mt=11


No comments:

Post a Comment