Saturday, June 15, 2013

Archangel Michael

Archangel Michael

So, here's what I learned this week:
How I want to "write" this icon next time. Actually, as I was on my pilgrimage through this process this week I thought that I needed to write this icon over and over again... maybe one a week for a month ... so that I could get closer to the result I wanted. Then, it dawned on me. Isn't that what we do as Christians every day? Don't we get up and say our prayers and ask God to help us to be His people and do good in the place we live and love Him more and give thanks to Him and ... ? Don't we do this over and over again to get closer to the result we want? To be less of me and more like Him, Jesus our Lord and Master?

Tomorrow in liturgical services (RCL) we will hear the story of the woman who cries tears of repentance over Jesus feet, washing them and drying them with her hair. She anoints his feet with ointment. (Luke 7) And, she is forgiven of her sins because of her faith, because she loves much ... loves Jesus much ... and breaks open her heart for him. What a precious, wonderful gift that humble heart is when given to our Lord ... given to Him over and over again every day. That is an icon that gives us a window into heaven, that helps us along our journey of knowing God.

1 comment:

  1. This has nothing to do with your icon, though I have thoroughly enjoyed the ups and downs of your journey in making it. Jenna has finally agreed to let the children be baptized. Emma is very excited about the baptism & about having her first communion, which I told her could be the same day! She has requested that I find a book for her on one or both topics. I was hoping you might have an age appropriate recommendation. She will be 6 by then & is reading. Or it can be one that I read to her. I looked around online, but all of the books I found on baptism were for infants & the first communion were for Catholics. The Catholic book would not be so different, I imagine, but I'd love to find a baptism one for an older child. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete