Friday, June 14, 2013

The Icon: Pilgrimage of Prayer

Sir Walter Raleigh, a poet-adventurer living during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, wrote:

Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of Salvation,
My gown of glory, hope’s true gage;
And then I take my pilgrimage.
He may have written that about taking pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but when I read it I thought  of writing/painting an icon. We take very little on a pilgrimage while writing an icon. Quiet, faith, joy, salvation, hope ... these things of our immortal diet accompany us and sustain us along the way. This journey into a saint's life in Christ, this meditation of who he/she is and Whose he/she is and what God has done in and through him/her ... it is a pilgrimage of prayer.

Today, St. Michael the Archangel ... archangel of the Almighty God ... began to appear.



His name means "who is like God". He is a fighter, champion, and support for God's people. He lends confidence and courage by his presence. Daniel 12:1 says, "At that times shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people." Other versions say "protects your people", "stands for your people", "stands watch over your people", "the grand defender and guardian of your people". ... As believers in Jesus Christ, I know we have the Holy Spirit within us ... our greatest traveling companion. And, then He gives us St. Michael as well ... walking with us through times of uncertainty, sickness, pain, sadness, grief ... and even in the quiet stillness and peace. Oh how God cares for us...giving his angels to stand watch over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment