Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Introduction to Iconography

St. Michael is masked off in order
to work on the background.
This is my third Iconography class. And, it is now the third method I'm learning to "write" an icon. Yes, you "write" an icon vs. "paint" an icon. An icon is not meant to be a photograph, a real representation of what the person looked like. It's not a portrait. Every element of an icon - color, gesture, clothing, etc. - contributes to narrate the person, tell you about who they are in the family of God. Everything "written" in the icon points to what is written in Scripture. It is an outward sign of the inward grace ... Grace ... we see in the person spoken about. And, to write an icon ... is to pray.

Today, we began with a blank board - pure white, polished to a wonderfully smooth surface without any defect. Indeed, that surface represents the purity, innocence, and perfection of God. In the method I am learning, this surface will shine through. I thought about that and it struck me ... "I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness." (Isaiah 61.10a) And, who is that righteousness but Jesus Christ our Savior?! " It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption." (1 Corinthians 1:30) His righteousness shines through us for He lives in us.

Then, the halo is masked to apply a glaze.
I put it on a bit heavily and so it doesn't glow as it could.

Today, while writing this icon of St. Michael the Archangel ... as I prayed through the day ... I became more and more aware of Christ's righteousness and the power of His righteousness that lives within us. Indeed, it shines through our individual colors and gestures and daily living (clothing). My walk with Him in this life, our walk with Him, is about the daily revelation (revealing) of His righteousness alive in us.

I am overwhelmed with joy ... joy in the LORD my God!

After the halo, a border is added,
then the name is written in.

1 comment:

  1. Well this is fascinating.. thank you for sharing this process! Are the lines of the picture already drawn in when you start or did you draw those?
    skm

    ReplyDelete