Saturday, June 29, 2013

How Iconography re-"writes" my outlook on life...

Two weeks ago I wrote about painting or "writing" the Archangel Michael. Last week my Iconography class painted Abba Moses of Ethiopia and St. Mary of Egypt. Here's what happens when I paint or  "write" the icon of such saints: I get to know them and I begin to realize who I want to be in Christ.

With every new pattern applied and with every stroke of detail ... especially the fine detail lines of the features ... I remembered or heard new stories of their life and commitment to The Lord and as I meditated on that, my heart gave thanks for their example, repented of my own (or sometimes our own, meaning the Church today) selfishness and sinfulness, and then, sought for God's Kingdom and righteousness to be that present in my own life.
Abba Moses of Ethiopia

For example, here is one story from Abba Moses: A brother in the monastery was caught in a sin (I don't know what one, but it doesn't matter for the point of the story) and all the brothers needed to be present to assign penance. Abba Moses was sent for but did not come. He was sent for again and this time he came carrying a leaking bag of sand on his shoulder. When the brothers asked him what he was doing Abba Moses replied, "My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another." When the brothers heard this they forgave their brother and all left the matter behind them. 

How many times I have wanted to punish another for something he/she has done to me or to another or to the church? Abba Moses reminds me that following Jesus is the way of forgiveness ... in the manner that I have been forgiven. Some would ask, "But, what about correction and accountability?" Yes, I understand that need within the bonds of Christ's love. And yet, I ask myself, "I wonder* how that brother who stood waiting for penance responded when he heard Abba Moses' words and saw the other brothers walk away in forgiveness?" Is there a possibility that he brazenly lived on in that community, thinking he got away with something? Maybe. If so, what was that life really like for him? Did he really get away with something? I don't think so. He would still have been carrying his own bag of sand. I think rather he turned and sought to live more like Abba Moses ... like Jesus ... in humble service to his brothers. 

May we all be strengthened by God's Holy Spirit to live the same.

*Are you Godly Players smiling that I still "wonder" about stories? 

1 comment:

  1. Why yes, yes I am.. "I wonder" has become a vital part of my lexicon... Thank you for that!!
    skm

    ReplyDelete